Bronx man accused of hate crime after interrupting Shabbat services...Long Island teens charged in attack on senior citizen...DOC captain dies after medical emergency on Rikers Island
Showing mention at 2:16 — highlighted below
Transcript
12 segmentsHow We Made Your Mother is the How I Met Your Mother rewatch podcast with me, Josh Radner and Siri's co-creator Craig Thomas. Follow How We Made Your Mother wherever you get your podcasts. Local people, local stories. This is the all-local from 1010 wins. I'm Donna Vaughn, and here are today's top local stories. Well, Friday night's services disrupted last night at a Jewish temple in Midtown, and now a Bronx man is accused of a hate crime. The suspect allegedly started shouting during the Shabbat service at Central Synagogue on Lexington Avenue, and what happened as he was being escorted out can be seen in a clip from a live stream. And you can hear the reaction from frightened worshippers there. Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch says Larry Montez punched a 63-year-old woman as he was paid. being taken from the building and headbutted a security guard, but the service went on, and Rabbi Andrew Kaplan Mandel spoke at his service this morning. Our day of rest was interrupted last night by a security incident in our main sanctuary, but we are okay. The 46-year-old suspects also damaged synagogue property. Police say he's now charged with assault and criminal mischief is hate crimes, while the woman that was slugged recovers from a split lip and other injuries. A statement from Mayor Mom Don. He says he's horrified by the incident and that every New Yorker must be able to observe their religion without fear of violence. He adds that he can only imagine the pain and fear an attack like this causes for the city's entire Jewish community. Governor Hokel, meanwhile, calling the incident appalling. Several teenagers now facing charges in an attack on a senior citizen this week on Long Island. The 73-year-old victim was collecting bottles last Tuesday afternoon in the parking lot of Ebola market on Route 11 in Hopog when he was confronted by a trio of young people. Investigators say that. The man was punched, kicked, struck with a bottle before his attackers took off in a white SUV. But police got a make and model, plus a license plate number, so it didn't take long for them to make arrests, they say. One suspect, only 17, so his name hasn't been released. The other identified as 18-year-old Keegan Lynch of Remsenberg. The two face an assortment of charges, including assault. Suffolk police are still trying to track down a third suspect who's 17, but they say they already know his name. The victim, needing a trip to the hospital but no life-threatening injuries. Attorneys for the now admitted CEO killer expected to use New York's double jeopardy law to get state charges dismissed against Luigi Mangione. He pleaded guilty yesterday in the cold-blooded death of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson. Mangione's guilty plea to federal stalking charges yesterday came just three weeks before a jury selection in his state murder trial is scheduled to begin. The Office of Manhattan, DA, Alvin Bragg, says they'll fight efforts to terminate the state case since Mangione hasn't been sentenced yet in the federal case. Prosecutors are seeking life behind bars while his attorneys want something less than that. Mangione has pleaded not guilty in the state case.
A city department of correction captain has died after suffering a medical emergency in the line of duty on Rikers Island. Officials say 53-year-old Keisha Nix became sick while on duty Thursday night and was rushed to Mount Sinai Queen's Hospital. where she couldn't be saved. She had been with the department for 22 years, recently served with the care unit, which provides emotional support for employees. Her cause of death, though, is not yet known. Residents of one neighborhood in Brooklyn are pushing back against a plan to renovate a park in the area. The Parks Department has a proposal for WNYC Transmitter Park along the East River and Greenpoint to get a cafe, bar, and marina with up to 40 slips. Now, as nice as that sounds, City Council member Lincoln Wrestler tells 10-10 wins, there's just not enough room for all that. I think everybody came to this with good intentions, but the Greenpoint community has been clear. The proposal just doesn't work with this park. This is not a massive park space. It's a really teeny little park. A large concession takes up a substantial portion of the park and makes it feel like you're commercializing this precious park space. Wrestler says the project should be scaled down and include public bathrooms or a small coffee standard bar. The Waterfront Park opened in 2012. At the former site of WNYC's radio towers, we've reached out to the Parks Department for comment. Thanks for listening to the all-local from 10-10-Wins. And for the latest news, traffic, and weather. Tent10Wins, visit Tent10Wins.com or download the Odyssey app to take us wherever you go. Gone South has been a podcast about crime in the American South. But for our new season, we're widening the lens. Follow and listen to Gone South Season 5, wherever you get your shows.